Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The city of Peshtigo was incorporated in 1887. It is named after the Menominee name for the area, "Pashtiho", which means "the place where we get fish." The first European settlers were French-Canadian fur traders who arrived in about 1840 and built a trading post on what is now called Old Peshtigo Road. In 1844, Marinette County was formed from territory that had been part of Oconto County; it included all land north and west of Lake Michigan between Green Bay to the east and Chequamegon Bay to the west. In 1850, Wisconsin Territory was organized with its boundaries including all land between Lake Superior and Iowa southward to Illinois state line; this included present day Marinette County (which then extended southward). In June 1860 a treaty signed by representatives from several Native American tribes ceded most lands owned by them in Wisconsin back to U.S.