Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Charles Town was founded in 1786 by Charles Washington, the youngest brother of George Washington. The city served as the first capital of West Virginia from 1863 to 1865 and hosted both houses of its legislature at various times. It also served as a temporary seat for neighboring Jefferson County while that county's courthouse was being built in 1872–73 (the current courthouse dates to 1909). The city is home to several historic properties including many designed by architect Alexander Jackson Davis, who lived nearby and whose works are on display at his nearby estate Woodlawn Plantation. Among these are the Governor's Mansion (1809), which is open for tours; Stonewall Jackson House (1856); First Presbyterian Church/Old Stone Church(1789); Old Jail Museum; John Brown Wax Museum; Lewis-Gale Hospital Historic District, listed on National Register of Historic Places in 1979) ;and two antebellum homes: Rosemont Manor and Blennerhassett Hotel & Conference Center .