Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Leavenworth was officially incorporated on October 18, 2007. The city is named after Fort Leavenworth in Kansas, which itself was named for Colonel Henry Leavenworth (1783–1827), an officer in the United States Army and a veteran of the War of 1812. The first permanent settlement at Leavenworth began with homesteaders arriving from Kansas around 1905 to 1907. In 1910, a post office opened under the name "Mountain Home", but it closed two years later when another community took its name; however, by 1913 there were enough residents to justify reopening it as "Leavnsworth". A railroad station built near present-day downtown in 1914 led to further growth and development that year when George Muehlebach built his brewery nearby; he also founded what would become one of Washington's largest beer distributorships here before moving back eastward some years later.