Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Wardsboro is home to the Vermont State Quarry. The town was named for Samuel Ward, a landowner and farmer who settled in the area around 1770. The first settlers arrived in 1802, with most of them coming from Massachusetts and Connecticut; they cleared land for farming as well as establishing mills along Wards Brook (now called Wardsboro Brook). In 1805, a petition was sent to Windham County's probate court asking that it be incorporated into its own township; this request was granted on February 6 of that year. It became an independent village on March 26, 1890 when it separated from Marlboro Township by vote of its citizens at their annual meeting held two days earlier. The population grew slowly until about 1900 when new industries began to develop: lumbering operations were started up near West Wardsborough (the present site of the state quarry), while marble quarries opened nearby at East Topsham (which had been part of Topsham before being annexed by Wardsborough).