Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Midland was originally known as "Waterhole" and "Mud Springs", but when the town received a post office in 1880, it had to have a name. The first postmaster suggested Midland because of its location midway between Fort Worth and El Paso. The city was incorporated in 1885, and by 1890 had a population of 3,000 people. It became the county seat of Midland County in March 1891 when that county was first organized and separated from Tom Green County. By 1900, it had an estimated population of 4500 people; then grew rapidly during the early years (1910–1920) with an estimated 10 thousand new residents each year due to oil discoveries made at nearby Ranger (1911), Spraberry (1914), Sanford-Fritch/Crosbyton-Schleicher(1920).