Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The Edistow were a sub-tribe of the Cusabo Indians, who inhabited areas along the South Carolina coast. The name "Cusabo" is thought to be derived from an Algonquian word meaning "headstrong." Edisto Island was first settled by Europeans in 1671 when Englishman John Yeamans established a plantation on the island. He named it after his father's estate in England, which had been called Edystone or Yemans' Island (the latter being pronounced as one syllable). In 1699, Yeamans sold his property to Edward Moseley and moved northward upriver where he built another plantation that became known as Mount Pleasant Plantation. In 1702, Moseley sold part of this land to Dr Thomas Jones who then purchased more adjacent lands until he owned over .