Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The area that is now Waynesboro was settled in 1745 by John and William Patton, who were brothers-in-law. They built a gristmill on Antietam Creek near the present day intersection of High Street and East Main Street. The town was originally known as "Pattonsburg", but it soon became known as "Waynesborough" after General Anthony Wayne, who had fought in the Revolutionary War at Stony Point during 1779 under General George Washington's command. In 1815, Waynesboro became incorporated into a borough; then later unincorporated until becoming reincorporated again on January 6th 1872 with its current boundaries being set at 3 square miles (8 km²). In 1900, 2,938 people lived here; in 1910 4,741 people lived here; and in 1940 5100 residents were counted living within the Borough limits according to US Census figures for those respective years.