Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Stillwater is part of the Oklahoma City-Shawnee Combined Statistical Area. It is located north of Lake Carl Blackwell, a reservoir created by the damming of Bear Creek. The city itself was founded in 1876, when William "Bud" Moore first settled in an area that he called "Still Water" on land which was opened for settlement during the Land Run of 1889 and made available for sale by lottery at $1.25 per acre ($3/km²). The city's name is derived from this creek (which still runs through downtown) where settlers would stop to rest and get water: ""There they found a small spring flowing into Still Water Creek ... [and] rested under its shade trees."" In 1884, territorial governor George Washington Steele dedicated the town site to Stillwater after his hometown in Pennsylvania; he later served as mayor from 1911–1915.