Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Cape Carteret is part of the New Bern Metropolitan Statistical Area. The Cape Carteret area was first settled by Europeans in 1710, and incorporated as a town in 1959. The name "Cape" refers to Cape Fear, which lies just south of the town; "Carteret" honors Sir John Carteret, 2nd Earl Granville (1690–1763), who owned much land on both sides of the cape. Prior to incorporation it was known as South Newport or Newport-on-the-Cape and sometimes referred to simply as 'Newport'. It has also been called 'Duck' since at least 1887 when that name appeared on a map published by Hinton James Company Inc., Wilmington NC . In 1890 there were three post offices serving this community: Duck Post Office located near what is now Highway 24 Business; South Newport Post Office located where Stump Sound Road meets Highway 24 Business; and North Shores Post Office located near present day North Shore Drive off US 70 West (formerly NC 211).