Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The north side has the city's "Gateway District", which includes a large shopping mall, as well as numerous residential buildings and condominiums. The city's Metro North railroad station is located at the foot of the City Hall building. Mount Vernon was settled in 1688 by Colonial Governor Sir Edmund Andros, who named it after his former hometown of Mount Vernon in Westmoreland County, Virginia. It was established as a town in 1788 and incorporated within The Bronx on May 7, 1874; however it remained part of Westchester County until becoming part of New York City on January 1, 1898 with its annexation to Greater New York. In 1694 Captain William Kidd made his home here while waiting for permission from authorities to pursue his piracy charges further north along Long Island Sound (see History section below). His widow sold their farm to Colonel Jonathan Stevenson (1749–1838) who became known for this good deed by founding an orphanage there that still exists today: Orphan Asylum Society.