Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
North Bergen was formed as a township on April 10, 1843, from portions of Hudson Township. On March 28, 1866, North Bergen became part of the newly created Hudson County. In the early 1900s the area was part of "The Gold Coast" which referred to an affluent stretch along Tonnelle Avenue west of Grand Street and northward to Van Nostrand Avenue between 32nd and 38th Streets in neighboring West New York. The Gold Coast is commemorated by a sign on side streets that read "Historic Gold Coast". In 1906 Lillian Wald founded Henry Street Settlement (HSS) at 420 Henry St., with funding from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie; it operated out of this location until 1966 when it moved uptown to its current location at 243 Madison Ave., near East 94th St.. HSS started programs for children including kindergarten classes in 1907 and first grade classes were added later that year; over time more grades were added until they reached 12th grade by 1935-1936 school year.