Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Jackson Township was incorporated as a township by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 8, 1844, from portions of Ocean Township. Portions of the township were taken to form Brick Township (March 7, 1861) and Lakewood Township (April 9, 1874). The boroughs of Allentown and West Creek were also formed from parts of Jackson in 1889. The name "Jackson" is derived from that given to a local Native American tribe called the "Alligewi", who lived along Great Egg Harbor Bay. They are not known to have had any contact with General Andrew Jackson during his lifetime; however they did live in proximity to another group called the Lenni Lenape or Delaware Indians who did have such contact with him during his military service against them at Fort Mifflin near Philadelphia in 1777-1778.