Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The first European settlers in the area were French colonists, who built a fort on the banks of Biloxi Bay. The settlement was named Fort Maurepas (after Louis Phélypeaux, comte de Pontchartrain) and controlled by France from 1699 to 1720. It was located approximately where the current bridge between Ocean Springs and Biloxi now stands. In 1720 control of Louisiana changed hands to Spain via secret treaty; however, there is no record that any Spanish official ever visited this or any other post in present-day Mississippi territory during this time period. In 1763 British forces took over control following their victory in the Seven Years' War (known as "French & Indian War" outside North America). They renamed it for Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (the victor at Culloden), but only occupied it for three years before ceding it back to Spain under terms of Treaty of Paris which ended hostilities related to American Revolutionary War; Britain received Florida instead..