Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The Saugus Iron Works National Historic Landmark is located in the town, and a replica of the iron works was built on site. The original site is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Saugus was first settled by Europeans in 1629 as a farming community, but it soon became an industrial area due to its location between two rivers which provided water power for mills. In 1846 Andrew Jackson Davis started one of his many utopian societies here; he called it "Nauvoo" after Mormon Nauvoo, Illinois where he had previously lived with his family before they were driven out during religious persecution (the Mormons moved to Utah). He renamed this new community "Davisville". It would later be known as Saugus Village or South Saugus when North and South Saugaus were established separately while still part of Lynnfield (which itself would become Wakefield) before being incorporated into their own towns respectively in 1850 and 1851.