Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The area was first called "Poggin's Harbor" after John Poggin, the owner of a local tavern and store. The village was renamed New Bedford in 1787 when it became the county seat of Bristol County. In 1847, New Bedford voted to secede from Bristol and become an independent city; however, this did not take effect until 1850 due to a delay in passing legislation (see Act of Incorporation). During the American Civil War (1861–1865), New Bedford served as a center for whaling: supplying over 40% of America's whale oil during that period. New Bedford is located at 41°22′N 70°40′W / 41.367°N 70.