Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Agawam was settled in 1635 as part of Springfield, Massachusetts. It was separately incorporated as a town on March 3, 1855. The name Agawam is Native American for "land at the end of the river". The first white settlers came to Agawam in 1640 and lived among the Indians. In 1775 General Lafayette visited Agawam during his tour of America; he noted that it had fertile soil and beautiful surroundings with many apple trees growing wild along its banks (the Connecticut River). During King Philip's War (1675–76) most inhabitants fled to Springfield; they returned when peace was declared but abandoned their homes after hostilities resumed between colonists and Indians in 1689 following King William's War (1688–97). After this war ended, some settlers returned to live among the natives until 1713 when all but one family left due to constant fear from attacks by French-allied Abenaki tribesmen who were allied with New France against Great Britain during Queen Anne's War (1702–13).