Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Brockton, Massachusetts: History The area was once home to the Brockton Indians. The current city name is derived from the town of Brockton, England. In 1649, William Whitwell and others purchased land in Plymouth Colony for a new settlement which they named "Brocketon" after their hometown in England. In 1748 King George II granted to William Brackett and others around what would become known as Olde Towne (present-day Bridgewater). Over time it became known as "Bracketown", but on June 17th 1819 a resolution was passed officially changing the name to "Brockton". On September 3rd 1889 Brockston split into two separate municipalities: North Brockton (present day Whitman) & South Brockton (the rest of present day City of Brockport). During this period there were three train stations serving the community - North Station where Main Street meets Route 123A Eastbound; Middle Station at West Elm Street near Main Street; and South Station at County Avenue near Summer street – all within walking distance from each other.