Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Champaign was founded in 1855, when the Illinois Central Railroad laid its rail track two miles (3 km) west of downtown Urbana. Originally called "West Urbana", it was renamed Champaign when it acquired a city charter in 1860. Both the city and county name were derived from Champaign County, Ohio. The first published reference to the site of the future city of Champaign was made by James Allen in his 1795 history, which described an expedition from St. Louis up the Mississippi River: "Two days after we left Cahokia [now East St. Louis], arrived at Campagne's Village; where we remained for some time." The most successful early settlers were farmers and merchants who sought to provide their families with ample opportunities for work and education in a friendly environment that provided religious tolerance as well as economic opportunity through trade with people throughout central Illinois; this included Native Americans such as members of tribes affiliated with Chief Black Hawk's band headquartered on Rock Island across from modern-day Moline, IL.