Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
McDonough, Georgia: History The area that is now McDonough was first settled in 1822. The city of McDonough was founded on December 23, 1823 by John and William McDonald. It was named after the brothers' father, Donald McDonald (1773–1850), a native of Scotland who immigrated to America in 1796 and served as a captain during the War of 1812. In 1830 Henry County split from Coweta County; this new county had several locations for its seat including Franklinville (now called Hampton) before settling on Milledgeville in 1840 where it remains today. The town's name changed from "McDonald" to "MacDonald" until finally settling with just "McDonough". During the Civil War General Sherman passed through here en route to Atlanta burning many homes along his path including those belonging to Confederate sympathizers James Ragsdale and Robert Clements.