Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
History The area that is now College Park was originally part of the land given to the Creek people by the Supreme Council of the Creeks in 1825. The Creek were forced to cede most of their lands from Georgia to Alabama in 1814, but they retained a small portion near present-day Atlanta. In 1821, Governor Thomas Brown signed a bill granting 890 acres (3.6 km2) for "the purpose of founding a Seminary or Academy." The charter was introduced by Representative Jonathan Norcross on February 1 and approved by both houses later that month; it is still currently used as Georgia State Law 3A-1: Chartering Public Institutions. On February 12, John Mims purchased two hundred acres from Daniel Easley and donated it to be used for an academy or seminary. A meeting held at his home resulted in Mims's property being selected over other candidates such as Mount Vernon Estates (now known as East Point), White Hall Plantation (now known as Forest Park), and West End Plantation.