Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The area was originally named for the Hobe Indian tribe which occupied the area. The first non-native settlement in what is now Jupiter was a Seminole Indian village named "Hobe". A US Army post called Camp Lonesome established here during the Seminole Wars, but it closed after only two years. In 1838, Dr. Abraham Shusterman purchased land and developed plantations in both Hobe Sound and neighboring Jupiter Island (which he renamed Isle of Pines). After his death in 1865, his sons Joseph and David took over operations of their father's estate; they later sold off much of their land to other settlers who began farming pineapple crops on a large scale around 1880–1890. The community that grew up near one such plantation became known as "Jupiter Farms".