Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The town of West Hartford was settled in 1670, when the area's inhabitants were Puritans who had left the established church. The land was purchased from a tribal chief by John Haynes, a glover and leather merchant. In 1703, his estate passed to his daughter Elizabeth Haynes and her husband Nicholas Sension (or Senton). They converted their home into an inn for travelers called "Ye Sign of Ye Golden Lion". This became an important stop on the Boston Post Road. By 1822, West Hartford Center had become quite prosperous due to its location along this major road. It contained several fine homes; many small businesses; two taverns (the "Golden Lion" and another owned by Samuel Colt); three churches: Congregationalist/Unitarian Church on South Main Street built in 1829-1830 which is now known as First Church Congregational United Church of Christ), Baptist Meeting House built in 1797 at what is now 516 Farmington Avenue) & Methodist Episcopal Meeting House built c1798 at what is now 604 Farmington Ave.