Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Stamford was known as Rippowam by the Native American inhabitants to the region, and the very first European settlers to the area also referred to it as such. The present name is after Stamford, Lincolnshire, England. The deed to Stamford's land was signed on July 1, 1640 between Captain Turner of "The New Haven Colony" and Chief Ponus. By 1721 there were 200 residents listed as living in "Rippowam", but no white residents are listed until 1755; however there were Native Americans living in what would become downtown during this time period (as late at 1810).