Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Golden City was established on June 16, 1859 during the Pike's Peak Gold Rush by William A.H. Loveland and John Gregory in a location previously known as Point of Rocks (not to be confused with the present-day town of that name). The original site was deep within a thickly forested area and consisted of just five blocks bounded by North Washington Avenue, East Eighth Avenue, York Street and Park Avenue West (now Broadway). Golden City became Colorado Territory's first capital city on February 28, 1861; it lost out to Denver in 1862 but regained the status again on November 7, 1863 when territorial offices were moved back from Denver following an election held October 5–7 that year. In 1867 its status as capital city was relinquished when the territorial capital moved to Denver; however it remained an important regional commercial center due to its proximity with nearby mining camps such as Black Hawk and Central City.