Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
History [ edit ] The town was founded in 1879 by a group of miners from Leadville, Colorado. The name Avon is derived from the river that runs through the town. In its early days, Avon was primarily a mining community with many gold mines and several mills to process ore. By 1880 it had grown to include two general stores and three saloons. It also included an opera house which hosted traveling performers such as Buffalo Bill Cody, who performed there on July 4, 1883. A post office opened in April 1880 with John H. Hunter as postmaster; he served until December 1890 when George W. Smith took over for another 10 years before being replaced by Lizzie Mottley (1899-1905), then William Copely (1906-07). The first school opened in September 1888 under teacher Mary Etta Brownell; she taught all eight grades at one time or another during her tenure.