Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The city of Selma has had four names since its incorporation. The name "Selma" is a shortened version of the Spanish word for "cotton", which was grown in the area before and after Alabama's admission to statehood in 1819. It was first incorporated as Moundville by European Americans, who named it after nearby Moundville Archaeological Site (a Mississippian culture archaeological site). This name lasted until 1826 when the town was renamed Selma, due to confusion with another Alabama community called Moundville; that year residents also petitioned for a post office under that name. In 1861, during the American Civil War (1861–65), Confederate forces defeated Union troops at Fort Morgan on April 2 and occupied Selma shortly thereafter. They remained there until May 12 when they fled following General James H. Wilson's raiders captured Montgomery during his Raid into Alabama .