Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The origins of the town are connected with the growth of tourism in North Wales during the early 19th century. In 1808, William Hughes, a London merchant, and his friend John Ceiriog Hughes bought 'Y Gegin' (the cottage) from Lord Newborough. They developed a garden and opened an inn called "The Skyrack" – this later became "Llandudno Hotel". The first steamship to be built in Wales was designed by William James and built at Ynyslas; it was named after Llandudno. Steamer services to Dublin began from Caernarfon Bay in 1830; but trade declined after 1840 as people preferred travel by train via Chester or Shrewsbury rather than taking their goods across country on horseback or cart over roads that were often impassable because of floods during winter months. In 1833 work had begun on what would become Llandudno's Victorian pier which was completed in 1836 (although it has been extended several times since).