Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The most ancient recorded name for Bristol is the archaic Welsh "Caer Odor", meaning 'the fortress by the mouth of the River Avon' (from which comes its modern English name). Alternative etymologies are supported with: a derivation from "Caer" ('fort'), and a Celtic word, "" (""), both of which refer to castles. The fort may have been located on what is now known as Castle Hill, opposite St Augustine's Tower. It may have been used as an administrative centre or a trading post. In medieval times, fortified towns were commonly given boroughs in England; this had no effect on Bristol's status as it was not granted such rights until 1542 when it was incorporated into Gloucestershire and became a county corporate . However, documents including those relating to Bath claim that Bristol had received its town charter from King Edgar in 958 AD – although these claims rely heavily on later writings rather than historical evidence .