Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The first European to visit the region was Spanish conquistador Francisco de Orellana, who navigated its tributaries in 1541. In 1770 the city was founded by José Antonio Manso de Velasco as "San Fernando del Ucayali". In 1873 it became capital of one of the districts that made up what is now called Loreto Region and on December 7, 1876 it acquired its current name. The construction of a road from Pucallpa to Lima (1891), Iquitos (1914) and Brazil (1921) contributed significantly to economic development during this period. During World War II Pucallpa served as an important point for transporting rubber out into international markets; however, after supplies were cut off due to war efforts these exports ceased until 1950 when they began again under Peruvian government control through Compañía Peruana del Petroleo SAC ("Peruanoil Company").