Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Mussoorie was founded in 1827 by Lt. Frederick Young of the Bengal Army, who purchased a tract of land on the eastern ridge overlooking Dehradun and built a house there. The site attracted many people in search of pleasant climate and scenery, including Lord Dalhousie (later Governor General), Sir Henry Lawrence (Chief Commissioner) and Captain J.D.Hodgson (Commissioner). In April 1835 they were joined by Captain Robert Napier, who set up his home at Castle Hill; he later laid out roads to connect all parts of Mussoorie together. In 1850 Mussoorie became the summer headquarters for Lieutenant-Governor Sir James Abbott, where he used to live during summer with his family at 'Woodside Cottage'. This practice lasted till May 1904 when it was shifted back from Shimla. It remained as such till Indian independence in 1947 after which its status changed from "summer capital" to "hill station".