Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Burhanpur is a major centre for the cotton trade. It was formerly known as "Bhaunagar" or "Bhavnagar". The city is also famous for its hand woven silk saris, which are made by local weavers. The name Burhanpur comes from two words: burha (meaning fort) and pur (city). There were several small towns in this area before it came under Muslim rule, but they were all destroyed during the reign of Allauddin Khilji in 1305 AD. He built a new town on the bank of Tapti River and named it after his son Malik Burhanuddin Ali Khan Bahadur Firuz Jang who was born to him by his wife Khatun Safiya Banu Begum at Chittor.