Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The name Shimla is derived from the Sanskrit word "śimlā" which means "abode of snow". The history of Shimla goes back to the 18th century. The Malhotra rulers, who were Jats originally from Sial in Rajasthan, established their kingdom in the mountainous region with their capital at Sialkot (modern-day Punjab). During this period, they also built Simla Hill City and a palace on it. When Hoshiarpur was under British rule, Sir David Ochterlony took over these three villages along with Thural and Chakrata for establishing British summer retreat after his retirement from service in 1823; he named it as Summer Hill Station. In those days only few people lived here including some employees of government like bazaar tahsildar etc., but there were no permanent settlements then due to dense forest surrounding all around except north side where Barog road now exists that leads towards Kalka through Barog village situated at foot hills near river Sutlej .