Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
It is also the headquarters of South Goa district. It was formerly known as Madgaon or Mardol. The city has a population of approximately 85,000 (2011 census). The name Margao is derived from "Margav-Pattan", meaning 'Market-Town'. The Portuguese adapted it to "Mangalapur" and later to "Madgaon". In Konkani, it is still called by its original name: 'ಮಾರ್’ গাঁ' ('Maar' gaŋ) which means 'the place where fish are caught', in reference to the large number of fishing nets set up along the river banks near this town during ancient times. In 1683, when Afonso de Albuquerque conquered Goa for Portugal he built his first church here dedicated to Nossa Senhora da Penha de França on top of a hillock at Bicholim overlooking what would become Madgaon and Salcete Taluka (district).