Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Le Lamentin is located in the south-east of Martinique, at the foot of Mount Pelée. It is crossed by two rivers: le Carbet and le Galion. The city has a long history, which started with Amerindian villages before colonization. Le Lamentin was founded in 1670 as Fort Saint Louis de Gonzague (named after King Louis XIV). In 1789 it became a town when it was separated from Saint Pierre's parish to form an independent municipality; however its name changed to "Fort-de-France" during French Revolution period (1790–1804) until 1802 when Napoleon Bonaparte gave back its original name "Saint Louis". The commune had been called simply Le Lamentin since March 1989 but on 22 July 2009, under decree No 2009 -1164 issued by the High Commissioner for Modernization and Simplification of Administrative Life, all administrative units were given names that corresponded with their geographical location or their activities.