Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Clermont-Ferrand's first name was "Augustonemetum" (as attested on coins minted at the time), meaning "estate of Augustus", in a wordplay on the Latin name of Julius Caesar, who founded the city. The Gallo-Roman city was called by later writers Clusium and also Augustodunum (the capital of Celtic Gaul). The old part of Clermont is delimited by its medieval ramparts, built during the 12th century. The 4th century Porte de Mars gatehouse is still preserved as an impressive example of Romanesque architecture with three portals and sculptural groups including a frieze that depicts scenes from local history or mythology – such as representations from Ovid’s Metamorphoses – along with several figures representing both human beings and animals; it has been listed since 1841 among UNESCO World Heritage Sites under “ancient town planning” together with other historical monuments located within France which are deemed to be outstanding examples for their architectural styles.