Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The city is named after Colonel Joseph Salaberry, a local militia commander in the War of 1812. In 1634, Samuel de Champlain built Fort Sainte-Anne on the shores of Lake Saint Francis. The fort was destroyed by Iroquois natives during their raids against New France but rebuilt several times until 1702 when it was abandoned for good due to frequent flooding and constant attacks from English colonists and indigenous people who lived south of the St. Lawrence River (the so-called "Five Nations"). For more than 100 years thereafter, this territory remained virtually uninhabited by Europeans; however some settlers did arrive in 1801 at Pointe-du-Lac (now part of Laval) where they established farms along with fur trading posts run by British merchants such as William Price and John Norton who were granted land there following their service with British troops during the American Revolution which ended in 1783).