Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The city is located at the mouth of the Rivière du Loup, which flows into Saint Lawrence River. It was founded in 1698 by Pierre Boucher, a native of Paris who had been sent to New France as an officer with the Carignan-Salières Regiment. The settlement served as a trading post for nearly two centuries until it was destroyed in 1759 during the French and Indian War (part of what is now known as Seven Years' War). In 1845, it became part of Lower Canada when that province joined Upper Canada (now Ontario) and Nova Scotia to form one colony called "Canada". Rivière-du-Loup's history has been marked by shipbuilding: first canoes then sailing ships were built here for over 300 years; its last shipyard closed down in 1992. Nowadays tourism plays an important role since most residents work outside town. The main attractions are related to nature such as whale watching or fishing trips on Lake St.