Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Simcoe was originally known as "The Forks" or "The Four Corners". The name Simcoe is derived from the surname of John Graves Simcoe, first Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada. In 1793, he visited the area while on a mission to survey possible locations for a capital city for Upper Canada. At that time, there were four corners at this location: Dundas Street (northwest), Yonge Street (northeast), Egerton Ryerson's line which ran north–south through what is now downtown Toronto and Highway 3 today (east). In 1816 it became the administrative centre of Norfolk County; in 1974 it was amalgamated with other municipalities into an expanded City of Brantford but remained its county seat until 2001 when administration moved to Haldimand County.