Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The city is named after the Saults, a series of rapids on the St. Mary's River (French: "Rivière Sainte-Marie"), which flows from Lake Superior to Lake Huron. The area's original name was "Bawating", an Ojibwe word meaning "(place at) the rapids". The French established a trading post here in 1679 among long-established indigenous communities. After the British conquered New France, the village and trading post became part of Canada as part of Treaty 1 after 1814; they had been ceded by treaty to Great Britain in 1763 under terms that included all lands east and north of Detroit not already held by other European powers or their allies during conflicts with them since 1754. In 1845, due to lobbying by Canadian missionary Thomas Symons, who was born here and wanted his hometown recognized as such for postal reasons; it was incorporated as a town with its present name – derived from one form used for this location in earlier centuries – given on April 12th that year..