Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Burk's Falls is located at the intersection of Highway 11 and Highway 69, approximately halfway between North Bay and Sudbury. The village has a population of 1,977 (2011 census) with an average age of 41.4 years old. History [ edit ] The area was first settled in 1853 by David Francis Burk who had been granted land there under the Free Land Grant Act. He named it after himself; Burk's Falls. In 1855 he built a sawmill on the Magnetawan River which became one of Canada’s largest lumber mills during its heyday in the late 19th century. A post office opened in 1861, but closed later that year due to flooding from ice jams on river. It reopened again two years later, then closed permanently for good around 1900 when mail delivery began to be handled out-of-town at Temagami Post Office instead.