Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Stellarton is located on the east bank of the Pictou River, which flows into Stellarton Harbour. The town's harbour was once a busy coal shipping port for many years and has since become a popular tourist destination. It is also home to Nova Scotia Power's Point Aconi Generating Station, one of two coal-fired generating stations in Nova Scotia (the other being at Lingan). The area around Stellarton was first settled by Europeans in 1783 when John Fraser established his farm along the banks of Coal Mines Creek (now known as Little Glace Bay Brook). In 1833, James Dunbar from New Glasgow purchased land at Coal Mines Station and built an inn called "Dunbars". This became a major stopping point for travellers between Pictou Landing and Sydney. Dunbar later sold this property to William Lawson who renamed it "Lawsonville" after himself; he operated it until 1870 when he sold out to Robert Gilchrist who renamed it again as Albion Mines after his birthplace in Scotland.