Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The name Campbellton was given to the area by John Taylor, a surveyor working for the British American Land Company. The town is named after his employer, Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy (1721–1806). Campbellton was founded in 1875 as a logging and lumbering centre. It became an important railway junction when it was connected with both Quebec City and Saint John by rail in 1886. In 1889, it officially became incorporated as a town; its population had reached 2200 people at that time. In 1958, Campbellton attained city status under its current mayoralty system of government; this made it one of New Brunswick's largest cities at that time with over 10 000 residents.. It has since been surpassed by Miramichi which now holds this title but remains one of New Brunswick's larger communities outside the capital Fredericton .