Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Courtenay is also home to the Comox Air Force Museum, which contains a collection of military aircraft from around the world. Courtenay's name comes from "Curtis" and "Bay". The city was originally named Curtis Bay in 1864 by Captain Henry Kellett after his friend Sir Charles Curtis who had been president of the Royal Geographical Society. In 1866 it was renamed to Courtenay in honour of Rear Admiral Joseph de Courcy (1786–1862), a naval officer who fought at Trafalgar and served as Governor General for both Mauritius and Ceylon. Courtenay: History Aboriginal history Archaeological evidence suggests that people have lived on Vancouver Island for 13,000 years or more. At least three Aboriginal groups lived in this area long before European exploration: Coast Salish peoples including Comox; Pentlatch-speaking peoples such as Ocoma'q (Comox); Straits Salish peoples including Hul'qumi'num'.