Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The Comox Valley is home to the Tseshaht First Nation, whose main reserve is at nearby Cumberland. The name "Comox" comes from a mispronunciation of "Komoux", the native word for this area. It was first recorded on a Hudson's Bay Company map in 1844 as Koo-mux (Kwak'wala) and later as Cumoose (English). In 1865 it was renamed Cumberland by an English surveyor who thought that Koo-mux sounded too much like cumber land, which means useless or worthless land in English. The name reverted to Comox only after World War II because of its original pronunciation and ease of spelling; however, some still use the alternate spelling today due to habit or preference.