Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
Fort McMurray was named for the Scottish-born Canadian businessman and politician Macdonald (Mack) Fraser McMurray (1843–1914), who founded Fort McMurray in 1875 to service the local mining industry. The town was nicknamed "The Oil Sands Capital of Canada" in the early 20th century, and by 1947 it had become a city. In recent years, there has been an effort to encourage endonyms rather than exonyms as formal names; however, Fort Mac remains common usage. This name is controversial because some residents consider it derogatory since it separates residents from their municipality's official designation of Wood Buffalo.