Printed on premium quality, glossy, photo paper
Available in 3 sizes
Printed in the USA
The region around Halle has been inhabited for millennia. The earliest archaeological traces of human activity around Halle date from the Neolithic period, but there are signs of earlier habitation during the Mesolithic and even in Paleolithic times. In 1846, a burial ground from this period was discovered which contained skeletal remains that were later studied by Eugène Dubois (1858–1940). He unearthed an armlet with a 'fibula' or clasp made out of serpentine bronze; it is now known as "the Snoeck-Ducaju bracelet". A year later, some other similar bracelets were found in nearby towns belonging to other bodies and they are now kept at the Museum of Ancient Art at Brussels. In addition to jewellery findings also include iron tools such as axes and knives dating from 1200 B.C., pottery fragments have been found near St Peter's Church (built between 1135–1150) indicating that there was an early settlement here too on top of older prehistoric sites..